2021 Scout Projects
Howard County Department of Recreation and Parks receives numerous requests annually for Scout volunteer projects. The Department has established the following Scout Project Guidelines to assist a Scout Candidate interested in obtaining a volunteer project in collaboration with Howard County Department of Recreation and Parks.
How to Apply
- The Eagle Scout Candidate has allowed a minimum of four (4) months to the project completion deadline. (The Howard County Department of Recreation and Parks does not accept projects with "emergency" deadlines.)
- The Eagle Scout Candidate is prepared to make all contacts and communications required to successfully complete the project with limited parental or adult involvement. Parents or adult troop leaders are welcome and encouraged to accompany the Scout during all meetings with the appropriate Park Supervisor. However, if at any time the Park Supervisor observes that the project is being run by adults, the Park Supervisor will not "sign off" on the project.
- The Eagle Scout Candidate is prepared to present himself in a professional manner in his communications (phone calls, meeting, emails, etc.) with the Department.
- The project chosen (or of interest) is of a scope and level that can be accomplished by the Eagle Scout Candidate and his crew. (Complicated projects that require too much adult participation or that have safety issues will be denied.)
- If the Eagle Scout Candidate is willing and able to comply with the Department's requirements he may proceed to the process below.
1. Email or mail a project proposal letter to:
Attn: Volunteer Manager
7120 Oakland Mills Road
Columbia, MD 21046
2. If a Scout Project opportunity is available, the candidate will be contacted via email to schedule an interview to further discuss the project idea. Note:
Scout Project Opportunities are limited; If your project idea is not accpeted there may be other project ideas available.
Groups will be required to register individually; each scout/volunteer must create his/her own volunteer profileScout Projects Information Packet:
Click the "download" button below for a copy of the Scout Projects information packet.
Download Attachment: download
Dates: 01/01/2021 - 12/31/2021
15 Positions available!
Location: Depends upon project; location will be decided during interview process.